Tuesday, April 28, 2009

April 28, 2009: Birthday Lucid Dreams

In last night's dream, I was at my old house in Washington. It wasn't long until I realized I was dreaming, so I went outside into the night and started flying. I looked up at the stars, picked the brightest one I saw (which was part of the little dipper for some reason), and flew towards it with the intention of traveling across interstellar space to the distant solar system. However, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't fly much faster than a car can drive, so I gave up on that endeavor; reaching a distant star at roughly 60 miles per hour was out of the question in the time span of one dream, let alone thousands of years. I set my sights lower (literally), and decided instead to fly down to a random building that was along my trajectory.

As is the case in my lucid dreams, I was able to phase through the walls of the building, which was apparently some sort of upscale apartment complex. I wandered through one of the doors and met a bewildered man, who, after overcoming his shock, expressed indignation at my barging into his studio. He was apparently some sort of journalist for a noteworthy publication, though I'm not sure how exactly I knew this. For the most part I ignored his displeasure at my intrusion; I forget what exactly I said to him, but it was some sort of indication that I was a government official, which pacified the man.

Suddenly I was Optimus Prime from the Transformers, and I had to leave the man's apartment, transform into a truck, and drive down the highway to chase and battle some Decepticons. Later I met up with more Autobots, some of which had been seriously injured in the fight. For some reason in my dream version of Transformers, being Optimus Prime meant that I was invincible; any damage done to me would be immediately healed. Right before I woke up, I reasoned that the ambulance transformer would also have that ability. This is when the dream ended.

*****

As cool as flying is in my dreams, I'm finding that I have some sort of governor limiting my speed. As I mentioned before, it seems that my brain has rules that it may allow me to bend, but not break.

Time limit is always a factor in lucid dreams; as soon as I realize I'm dreaming I feel rushed to do something with it before I wake up. I usually spsend my time exploring whatever world my mind has created. It's actually amazing how I can do something unexpected, like pick a random house and walk (or fly) right in unannounced, and my mind can keep one step ahead of me and have setting and characters prepared for me to interact with; and yet, there are clear limitations, as apparently I can't leave the Earth's orbit and fly to distant stars.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment