Friday, April 24, 2009

April 24, 2009: First Lucid Dream for the Journal

I was wondering when my next lucid dream would occur; they are usually more frequent.

Allow me to provide a quick note (and warning) about my lucid dreams. As soon as I realize I'm dreaming, I will try to take control it in any number of ways: I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride if it's an interesting dream; if not, I'll attempt to completely change the dream, its environment, the people, etc; I'll try to do impossible things, such as flying, walking through walls, etc; I'll respond with extreme violence to dreams about being chased or attacked; or, depending on who is in it, the dream can become sexual. So, read with caution, I guess - a lot of my lucid dreams are either violent or sexy. With that awkward caveat in place, let's proceed:

*****

I was in some sort of office building of unknown origin, peopled by unfamiliar faces. I was talking to a woman, about what I don't recall, but I quickly realized it was a lucid dream, and, well... Whatever we were talking about became even less important, as we dashed quickly into a nearby office and locked the door. This dream ended... later.

In the next dream I had, which was not so... lucid... I was walking around in a mall by myself. I received a cell phone call from my sister, who told me that mom's house was on fire and she had ran to a neighbor's house to call the fire department. I was irate that my mother would leave the house and all of my stuff to burn; I told my sister angrily that I would sue her and mom if any of my stuff was damaged.
Later, I was walking around in a large video game arcade in the mall, and now my sister was there with me. For some reason she had brought a cat with her, and the jittery feline was dashing all around the arcade and managed to get inside one of the game cabinets - a mini skee ball machine, to be precise. Luckily, since I used to work in an arcade, I knew how to open the cabinet (even though I didn't have a key), and though the customer playing it was upset that I had interrupted his game, I got the cat out. I made sure to hold on to the cat for the remainder of the dream, which shorty thereafter ended.

*****

One thing I've discovered about lucid dreams is that they tend to end soon after I become cognizant of the fact that I'm dreaming. I've also found that the more I try to focus on changing or controlling a dream, the more likely I am to wake up - I guess because by that point I've just become too aware, too mentally awake. It's an interesting phenomenon, the lucid dream: being conscious in my subconscious's world, as if these two parts of the same mind are indeed separate entities. In my case, I find that it is often a struggle to change dreams too dramatically, as if my subconscious has developed certain rules, laws, and boundaries, which in many ways reflect reality, yet in others are very strange. For instance, I often find that in lucid dreams where I start to fly, if I fly too high I hit a kind of ceiling, as if I've reached the limit of what my subconscious has created. Actually, the very act of flying, or walking through walls, is often challenging to do in the first place - it takes a few running starts, or requires intense focus - as if my brain is trying to obey laws of physics in its imaginary world.
Another intensely difficult thing to do is to completely change the dream. For example, if I realize I'm dreaming and I want to change the setting to somewhere else, I'll close my eyes in the dream and concentrate, and when I open them - more often than not I'm still where I was; nothing has changed. Sometimes I have to be content with smaller manipulations of the people, places, and things already present.

The second dream confuses me. I don't know why I would threaten to sue my mother and sister because they left a burning house to call emergency services and refused to stay and watch over my supposed belongings. However, the later part with the cat is reminiscent of most of my dreams that involve either small animals or babies. I always worry about them running away or getting hurt, so I feel the need to hold them, or put them in a cage, or make sure all of the doors in the room are shut so they can't get out. No, not put the babies in the cage... never mind.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment