Monday, April 20, 2009

April 20, 2009: Numerous Short Dreams

Last night and this morning I had quite a few shorter dreams, probably because I kept waking up due to someone hammering outside my window. Jerks. Anyway, here goes:

In the first dream I was watching some sort of TV crime drama, though when I "watch" things in dreams I'm usually involved at least as a passive but present observer. I only recall the tail end of this particular drama, wherein I witnessed two rather horrific events unfold. About all I recall is that the story ended tragically, and rather gruesomely, with one man being thrown in some sort of giant garbage compactor that operated, of course, by grinding and crushing with giant toothed gears rather than just flattening; and elsewhere, a woman exploded (in slow motion) due to, I'm guessing, a suicide bomb. This was about where the first dream ended.

In the second dream, the guys from Penny Arcade were working with South Park Studios on a movie deal. They were in the recording studio, putting together the soundtrack; however, there was a bit of contention over the direction that the score was taking: the Penny Arcade guys, specifically Gabe (and of course they were portrayed as their cartoon selves), wanted the music to be dark and eerie, whereas the South Park music team kept pitching lively, bouncy music with chorus vocals parodying those campy 50s radio and TV jingles. Gabe attempted to explain the direction he wanted the music to go by describing one of the monsters in the film: a gruesome undead beast. The music director nodded as if he understood, and said "how about this?" And proceeded to play the same kind of campy jingle music. Gabe and Tycho stormed out in a huff, and suddenly I was watching Fox News, where the ticker at the bottom suddenly started bashing on Penny Arcade. Here ended the second dream.

The third dream was one of my usual "school" dreams. I was in class, working on a project with a group, only I had no idea what the class, project, or point in time in the semester was. Later, we were taking a field trip, only my dad was driving and he missed the turn we needed. This is about where the third dream ended.

There were a few other bits and pieces of dreams throughout the night and morning, though I can't recall them right now.

*****
Sometimes my brain can get really creative; sometimes it gets creative in how graphically gruesome it is. I think I've seen enough disturbing scenes of blood and guts in my dreams to desensitize me to any movie or video game violence.

I'm not sure why I would dream about Penny Arcade, let alone a Penny Arcade movie being made by South Park Studios with Fox News taking interest. I suppose I did see an ad for Penny Arcade's video game last night, and someone on Facebook had one of those stupid images with characters in the style of South Park. And everyone loves Fox News...

My school dreams are always about like this, and never lucid unfortunately. These, I'm sure, do have very real psychological significance. I'm always dreaming that I'm failing classes, or completely confused, or taking a test and have no idea what the class is about. The variant of these dreams is that class is over for the day, and for the life of me, I cannot get my stuff organized and put away, so that I can leave and go to my next class within the allocated ten minutes. It's true that school is always on my mind, especially with finals coming up, but I get no reprieve even in sleep. Hopefully after graduation those dreams will become less frequent.

--Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment