Sunday, April 26, 2009

April 26, 2009: Camping Trips, Police High-Jinks, and Nostalgic Memories

Look: Labels for the dream posts! Now you too can just skip the crappy ones and go straight to "sexy." When I start running into more common themes I'll add more labels.

*****

In the first dream, I was out on a camping trip in the woods with some friends and family. We were setting up tents in our camp site, when dark clouds above flashed brilliantly with lightning. I counted off the seconds before the loud, prolonged boom of thunder announced that the lightning was very close - practically right over us. I ran into my tent for shelter from a sudden downpour of rain. This is about all I remember of the dream before it ended.

In the second dream, I was in some sort of coastal town, driving an older Toyota Camry. After a while I was standing near the car and talking to a police officer; I don't remember if I had been pulled over, or if I was already out of the car and ended up talking to him. He asked if he could drive my car, and if I would accompany him; he said that he wanted to check something out. I agreed, and we sped off.
I was surprised at how aggressively he drove, swerving around corners and flooring the accelerator. When we got down to the beach, he drove out onto the sand, and began to peel out in circles, doing donuts and letting the car spin and drift as he sped around the beach. I was a bit confused, but it was fun, so I just laughed and enjoyed the ride. After a while he pulled up onto the asphalt and stopped, and we got out of the car. He asked me why the car had such trouble accelerating, and I told him that it needed a new gas pedal. The dream ended shortly thereafter.

I recall only fragments from another dream about a friend from my distant past. To see her again made me very happy - but as usual in these dreams, I struggled with the premonition that our reunion was to be short-lived. Sure enough, as always, the dream ended too soon.

*****

I'm guessing my dream about lightning and rain was influenced by a book I was reading last night, wherein the characters are caught in a blinding downpour.

I don't know what to say about the one with a police officer, who was driving my car around like a teenager on a snowy night in a grocery store parking lot. Maybe I don't understand driving conditions on a sandy beach, but I'd think we'd just get stuck in the sand doing tricks like that as opposed to participating in some sort of Tokyo drift: beach variety. I also like how the gas pedal was obviously the problem with my car's ability to accelerate. Duh, that's what you push to go faster!

I have dreams about this particular friend all the time, and they are always fraught with conflicting emotions. I feel an intense happiness to see her again, to talk to her and reminisce; but there is always a foreboding sense in these dreams that she is going to vanish at any moment, or that I'll wake up too soon. These are the crueler instances of lucid dreaming, when she'll just disappear and I'll know that it has all been a dream.
I don't know why I have these dreams, or why they bother me so much; I don't even think about this person in waking life until after I have them. These are the dreams that I wake up from and struggle between nostalgia and melancholy.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment