Thursday, April 23, 2009

April 23, 2009: Friends and School

I had a rather vivid dream wherein I was in a small, unfamiliar clothing store. In the dream, a friend of mine (whom I haven't talked to in a long time) was an employee at this boutique, and he was busy organizing the clothing on the racks. He looked terrible; he was obviously depressed, withdrawn, and downcast, glumly going about his tasks while avoiding interaction with the patrons. However, I was happy to see him, if a bit anxious, so I walked up and greeted him nervously.
I was concerned that he wouldn't be glad to see me, and with our initial contact that seemed to be true - he looked very unhappy when he saw me approaching. However, I made it a point to chat with him and find out why he had disappeared off the radar. The more we talked, and the more I observed him, the more I began to think that he must have developed some deeper mental issues that must have arisen since last I saw him; he had developed an extreme social awkwardness and discomfort in dealing with people as seen by his interactions with the customers in the store. For some reason, at one point, he was wearing an Phantom of the Opera-esque mask, though as dreams go, it quickly disappeared.
Through our dialogue I was able to get him to come out of his shell a bit, and after a while he was laughing and acting like his familiar self. Even so, he found a point to confront me as to why I hadn't contacted him in so long; to this I replied that I had tried in vain to keep in touch with him, but he would never return calls or emails. This is about where this dream ended.

The second dream was a shorter one, again about school. In this dream, the instructor had an announcement about test results, in which she reported that most people did well except for me, calling me out by name. I was left to fret about how abysmal my score could be that she would single me out. The dream ended shortly thereafter.

*****

Well recording dreams is turning out to be more of a bummer than anything humorous. I'll probably add tags so people can skip the unfunny ones.

I've had dreams similar to the first, about friends that I've lost touch with and yet there's something unresolved about it. I guess, subconsciously, I want to reconnect, make amends, and go back to the way things were with them. Oh well... I find it humorous that my brain realized how melodramatic my dream was getting, and, probably tongue in cheek, gave my friend a Phantom of the Opera mask. So emo!

And I've already gone over the reason for my school dreams. Finals are just around the corner I suppose...

--Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment