Monday, September 5, 2011

September 05: Outside the Turkey Shop

I had an incredibly vivid and rapidly-changing dream last night; unfortunately, even though I immediately woke up and began writing it down in my bedside journal, the details quickly slipped through my memory.  I'll try to share what I remember:

The dream:  I remember being in a parking lot and getting in a car with some of the faculty from my graduate program.  As we piled in, some vagrants came up and started cleaning the car in hopes of getting some money for their unwanted attention.  My advisor, who was driving, started the car up and attempted to put the car in reverse to leave, but I realized that one of the homeless fellows had a hold of our front bumper; our car backing out would result in it being torn off (apparently).  I told the driver to wait; I rolled down the window and politely declined their services; the men reluctantly let go and moved away.  We were free to drive away, through a small town that I didn't recognize.

Eventually, I was dropped me off just down the street from a small shopping area, and my advisor and teachers drove off.  For a moment I could see myself as if looking in a mirror: I was wearing a ridiculous outfit that was a combination of traditional Japanese samurai and Hot Topic goth (complete with combat boots).  I was also carrying a second pair of boots for some reason.  Feeling ridiculous, I walked up the street to a small shopping plaza.

Reaching the plaza, I walked into the nearest store: a "turkey shop," which was some sort of fast food restaurant, apparently.  Inside, the manager was challenging his employees -- a cadre of bored and sarcastic teenagers -- to a trivia game related to the company's history.  While I don't remember the details of the quiz, I do remember something about heavy artillery, accompanied by a slideshow of pictures of different types of large artillery batteries.  Needless to say, the employees were both clueless and disinterested throughout the oblivious shop owner's attempt at engaging his lackluster employees.  I left shortly thereafter.

This part of the dream is where I wish I could remember the details: what I do remember is that it involved five young women (two were brunette and one was blonde if that helps!).  Each of the women had to complete a specific and unique challenge.  All I can recall of the challenges is that they were slapstick, frustrating, and/or humiliating to the participant and yet humorous to the observer (me) - perhaps along the lines of those Japanese punishment game shows (which have in turn spawned American equivalents).  Apparently these were so funny and interesting that as I realized I was dreaming and about to wake up, I knew I needed to quickly write the details down.  However, I didn't actually wake up; instead, the dream changed slightly.

In this dream, I enlisted the help of five girls (the same girls?) to reenact the hilarious antics from before so that I could record it all properly.  However, I don't even remember the reenactments, other than the end.  The girls ran off into the back room of a store we were in, and an extremely awkward young man got on the store intercom to announce the end of the show.  The customers in the store started clapping, and soon after, I woke up.

My thoughts:  It is so frustrating to remember having such a detailed dream and yet, upon waking up, feel those details float away, even though I am actively concentrating on retaining them.  I'm not sure what causes that sometimes, while other times I can remember the dream clearly hours or days later.

And I don't know what artillery has to do with turkey, but they were integral to this company's history, apparently.


No comments:

Post a Comment